Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

Our track record for fun Mother’s Days has been pretty hit and miss in this house – toddlers don’t really get the concept of giving mom “a day off”, so this one definitely qualifies as g-r-e-a-t, GREAT! Nate and the kids were fabulous and made the day wonderful from start to finish . . . (okay, so Elise didn’t get the “no whining on Mother’s Day” memo, but other than that, it was perfect). Here’s a recap:

The kids helped Nate make breakfast – biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, and orange juice. Yummy! Church was great. The highlights were hearing Ben tell the kids in my Primary class that they needed to be extra good for me since it was Mother’s Day and I am a mother, and being able to pick out Ben’s and Emily’s voices out of the whole Primary choir during sacrament meeting. They are not shy kids. Elise didn’t really know the words, but she was sure moving her mouth like she was singing in the Tabernacle Choir. It was cute.

After church and lunch, I got a very rare Sunday afternoon nap. (Abby had decided that she wanted to wish me a Happy Mother’s Day at 2:30 in the morning and didn’t go back to sleep until 4 a.m. I very much needed some sleep.) Nate sent the kids in with chocolate covered strawberries to wake me up. Life doesn’t get much better than that.

The kids helped me open my presents and then we went for walk on a new route. It has a little creek/stream that crosses under the walking path. The kids were very happy about stopping to throw rocks in the “river.” We came home, played outside for a while, and had scrummy turkey sandwiches and cheddar sun chips for dinner (my favorite).

We finished the night by watching a (lame) movie together and having strawberry shortcake . . . Nate assured me that fat grams don’t count on Mother’s Day.

Days that good are exceptionally rare, and I appreciated every second of it. I have no expectation of a repeat performance anytime in the near (or distant) future, so I want to remember every detail. :) It seems a little unfair that I got the best husband and kids in the whole world, but I am willing to live with it.

Nate took the kids shopping on Saturday morning and they surprised me with flowers.


The kids were more than willing to help me open my gifts. Elise was pretty mad at church when they handed out chocolates to the moms. “Why is no one giving me presents?”


This is exponentially better than the way the kids usually wake me up.


Abby’s head is blocking my quality, felt flower corsage that the kids made for me in Primary. It was amazing.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm glad you had a great day! You deserve it.

Dale Clarke said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous day. I did as well. Your kids are hilarious and you are a great mom for being so patient with them on "normal" days!

Hilary said...

Sign me up for the chocolate strawberries! As RR would say YUM-O!

Cydnee said...

As Napoleon Dynamite says, "LUCKY!!!" Glad you had a great day!