Sunday, April 10, 2011

Kindergarten Spring Party

Elise’s teacher sent home a note a few weeks ago saying that she was going to be out of town for their spring party and needed a mom to volunteer to plan it. I promptly threw the note away and figured someone else would do it. No one did. When I went for my volunteer time the next week, her teacher asked me if I would please do it. I couldn’t tell her “no” in real life (even though I have a phobia of party planning). They do things a little differently for kindergarten at this school than our old school. One mom plans the whole thing/does all the prep work and just asks other moms to come help on the day of the party. So, I had to come up with two games, a treat/story, and a craft.

I found an adorable treat on Tip Junkie. We made little donut lambs. One of the girls in Elise’s class is allergic to chocolate, so I was glad I could find the same items in the peanut butter variety. They turned out so cute!



For the craft, we made little egg heads and planted grass seed inside. If all goes well, they should grow a nice head of green hair in a couple weeks. They were quite messy, but the kids had fun making them. I recruited Nate to come help on the day of the party and I’m glad I did. It was definitely a two adult craft.



I think I used up all of my creative energy with the treat and craft, because I went super simple on the games. We played spring bingo (with Smarties for markers) and borrowed the bean bag toss game that the morning mom used for their party. Easy.



After the party, the kids got to have an Easter egg hunt outside. There were a TON of eggs, so we took a few out and let the preschool kids that came with their moms do a little egg hunt of their own. Both Elise and Abby had a great time with that and are excited to do it again in a couple of weeks.



All in all, it turned out well and was even kind of fun. Maybe I shouldn’t be such a wimp about volunteering to head things up. I am grateful for the three cool moms that helped out, especially my friend Emily who also shared her pictures since we forgot to bring a camera.

6 comments:

EmWJ said...

I'll witness to the fact that the smiles were wide on every Kindergartner's face throughout the party! It was a great mix of crafts that took up the time, but didn't frustrate the kids (with darling results) and simple games that were perfect for the age, and ending in the big bang of an Easter egg hunt.

And even we moms had a ball. You truly did an amazing job.

amity said...

that is completely amazing!! what cute ideas. totally impressive!!

Hilary said...

I was too distracted by the girl who was "allergic to chocolate" to finish the post. Whoa.

Seriously, Whoa.

cookies and cups said...

so glad you made them and they turned out!!

Kaylynn said...

Even if you try to avoid parties, you are the master party planner. good work

Heidi said...

I don't know if I could handle that pressure, but as always it looks darling!