Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Quick Camping Trip

Nate and I decided to squeeze in one more camping trip with our kids before school started. We headed up a little after noon on Friday. We were lucky enough to snag the last campsite in Perception Park (important since we had all taken up our bikes and it is the only campground that has paved roads and trails). There was a reason it was the last site available; it kind of sucked (close to the road and not much shade), but we decided to be glad that we got a spot and like it anyway.





We’ve been super busy around here lately and needed some time to be lazy. This trip really fit the bill. We had simple meals and spent our time riding bikes, playing games, and sitting around the fire.

Great things about this trip:

No one got bitten by the black widow that had made her home in the bag that holds our pop-up shade. I noticed some webs with dead spiders when I opened the flap and immediately thought it was the work of a black widow. Being the wimp that I am, I made Nate come over to take out the shade. Sure enough there she was. I’m really not a fan of venomous animals thinking they should live in our stuff.

One of the training wheels on Elise’s bike broke. Hallelujah! She has been more than a little resistant to learn how to ride her bike, but with a broken training wheel she didn’t have much choice. She wasn’t happy about it, but she learned how to ride her bike by the time we left. The other kids had loads of fun with their bikes. Abby probably rode around the main loop of the campground 70-80 times and Ben and Emily were pretty adventurous about going on the smaller trails through the picnic area and group sites. Nate and I took turns going with them and we took a couple of family bike rides all together.




We played Apples to Apples, Set, and Speed UNO with the kids. We also had a fun game of Fire UNO. Our camping cards were getting pretty worn out, so we decided to retire them. We played four hands of UNO around the fire and used the fire pit as the discard pile. The kids (except Elise) thought it was so cool to throw the cards into the flames. Elise was just not comfortable with that level of rule breaking. She got over it and played anyway.






We tried the giant marshmallows this time around. That’s a whole lot of sugar and whole lot of stickiness crammed into one marshmallow. I think we’ll stick with the normal ones from now on.




We got home in time to get the kids cleaned up and sent them to the Jensens’ house for an end of summer party. Ben went early and mowed their lawn for them. It was a HOT day and their lawnmower has been broken for a while so the grass was long. It was tough work. He was a trooper and kept pushing through until it was done. That boy has a pretty good work ethic for a ten year old. He was so excited when they paid him $10 (even after he told them that he really only gets $2 for mowing the lawn).

The kids all had a great time at the party. There was a treasure hunt, crafts, water balloons, pizza, a movie, a piƱata, cupcakes, and glowsticks. What more could a kid want?

3 comments:

EmWJ said...

Eeeeeek!!! about the black widow. I don't mind spiders, but black widows freak me out! I'm glad it didn't bite you all as well. *shudder*. That camping site looks so fun, especially for bike rides.

I love how you used the fire pit as the discard pile, what a fun memory.

My favorite camping card game is Ziggity, because the cards are washable (plastic) so I'd say get a tin of those for your next trip.

Kaylynn said...

I know you wouldn't kill the black widow because you were afraid her friends would see and come after you:) Looks like a super fun camping trip and fun that your kids are old enough to play games. And I love that Ben really only gets paid $2 to mow the lawn. Set their expectations low and it can only go up, right?

Heidi said...

I'm impressed that you could tell it was a black widow by her web. That sounds like fun to bring your bikes up, maybe we'll have to try that campground next year.

Way to go Elise on getting rid of your training wheels!

I'm kind of jealous, fire uno sounds like so much fun to me!

You have a huge lawn for only $2, but I must say you are smart to start low.