The theme this year was “Diversity Means . . .”. Ben spent all summer taking pictures of different kinds of clouds and made a collage of his favorites. He got some cool photos on our trip, and he even got a shot of a funnel cloud from our backyard. His collage turned out great and he was pretty sure it would win. It didn’t. Luckily, he decided to throw together a literature entry a couple of days before the projects were due. It did win. He wrote about diverse ecosystems. I’m glad he found a way to put some of his random Planet Earth knowledge to good use.


Emily entered for literature, photography, and for visual arts. Her drawing was by far her best project and the one that earned her a trophy. She went with a biodiversity theme. She spent lots of time getting it just right and the finished product was very nice. I loved how she patterned each of the letters after one of the animals/plants. I wasn’t so sure that she would win. There are always lots of entries for visual arts and now that she is in third grade, she is in the division with older kids. I was proud of her for holding her own with the big kids.


Elise really wanted to win a trophy, but she only wanted to do two projects. Nate helped her set up a tripod and she took a bunch of pictures of Abby making different faces. Her project turned out really cute, but it wasn’t a winner. I had heard that no one ever enters the music category, so I told her that maybe she should make up a song. She hasn’t taken piano lessons yet and doesn’t have any real skill, but she sat down at the piano and composed a little song on a 3x5 card (with her own unique musical notation). Going with the diversity theme, she played it through once slow and low and once high and fast. It wasn’t good. I was just banking on her being the only one to enter. I was a little worried when I found out that three kids entered the music category in her age division this year. She lucked out and scored a trophy anyway. Ironically, only one girl entered a literature project. She could have written anything and won. Live and learn.


2 comments:
I still think Elise's song was artistic, especially now that I hear that she sat down and wrote the notes! Now to see if the trophy bug will extend to next year...at least Abby will have to enter something in the one of the "almost guaranteed to get a trophy categories" like literature (she can say it, you can write) or theatre (truly, this one is the one no one enters) or film or music or dance. Course, like you said, Ben and Emily both won in categories with lots of entries, so who knows what will happen.
Regardless, it's a lot of fun and I'm glad to see your kids got such a kick out of it!
P.S. Can you send me that picture of Elise and Cecily I saw you take?
I thought Elise and Ben's photo collages were great, but maybe that's just because I'm a biased aunt. Emily is quite the artist, I guess all of that practice is paying off.
Yeah, congrats to all of them on winning!
Post a Comment