Emily loves owls, so I got her a cute owl shirt for Christmas. She used it as a pattern to make some owl drawings of her own. Several of her classmates asked her to draw an owl for them. She made a few of them at school and then came home and asked me if I could just scan one in and make copies so her hand wouldn’t get tired from all the drawing. :) She did one on a slightly larger scale so she could hang it up in her bedroom. She was very pleased with how her “poster” turned out.
Drawing is our go-to activity to keep the kids quiet during sacrament meeting. Last week Emily asked Nate what she should draw and he told her to draw her shoes. She did three sketches from different angles. They look pretty cool.

Elise always complains that she isn’t as good at drawing as Emily is (“Marsha, Marsha, Marsha”). I keep telling her that her artwork is at least as good as Emily’s was at her age. A couple of weeks ago when I was volunteering in her class, I noticed the first grade hall was lined with penguin art. I knew which one was Elise’s as soon as I saw it. It didn’t have a name on it, so when she came out in the hall I asked her if was hers. Yep. I was right. It really stood out among her fellow first graders’ drawings. I was equally impressed with her little science report. Most of the other kids didn’t even fill a page with the written part. Elise filled three pages and included lots of interesting facts. (walres = walrus, not whales . . . I’m not sure why, but Nate and I both made that mistake on our first read through.)




Elise's watercolor owl was picked to represent her class on a bulletin board at our local grocery store a couple of months ago. She was so excited to show us when we were shopping.

5 comments:
Long live the Brady Bunch - but really, Emily's penguin and shoe drawings are awesome - like super good. I wish I had some art in me.
All I can think about right now is Cyd saying, "Marsha Marsha Marsha!"
Holy cow, her shoe sketches are AMAZING! That is way better than I could ever do. I am very impressed.
Remind me to never try to draw anything around Emily, I would be quite embarrassed! Your girls are quite the artists!
you've got some serious artists on your hands! Have they taken a lot of art classes? incredible!
Post a Comment