Reset Valentine's Day
Valentine’s Day hit a new low at our house this year. I hadn’t made any plans for the festivities before surgery and didn’t have the energy to care about it afterwards. Nate left a little heart with a handwritten message in each of the kids’ shoes in the morning before work and I gave them each a box of year-old conversation hearts that I bought on clearance last February (they have long expiration dates). That was pretty much it. We had leftovers for dinner and peanut butter cookies from our neighbor for dessert. Our entertainment consisted of watching Bob Ross, Jeopardy, and a bunch of YouTube videos as a family. Saying it was low key is a big understatement. Nate’s coworker has a theory about resetting holidays. They have a reset birthday or a reset anniversary every few years to bring the expectations down and lower the bar. This was our reset Valentine’s Day. We can only go up from here.
The day wasn’t a complete bust for the kids. They all had a fun day at school, and came home with big smiles and loads of treats. My mom sent a package, our neighbor left some cute little cupid’s arrow pencils on the porch for the kids, Lexie gave Abby some caramel corn, and Nate’s parents dropped off some chocolate animals. At least there was plenty of sugar consumption going on.
I was in charge of the craft for Abby’s preschool party. I got everything ready and was planning on going, but when it came down to it I wasn’t feeling up to being that mobile. Luckily my friend Emily was willing to fill in for me at the last minute. They made cute little Hershey’s kisses mice (thanks for the idea Celeste) and by all accounts it turned out great. Phew.
Abby got a cute Valentine hairdo too. It was reportedly a big hit with her preschool friends.
4 comments:
Austin's comment: only Penelope would put heart's in her kid's hair. Good luck on the reset Valentines day:)
You probably already know what I'm going to say here. Let's just put it this way--my kids have no idea that other families even do stuff on Valentines Day besides get ready for the school party. No expectations = happy kids when Mom pulls out an extra sucker and says "Happy Valentines Day". Works like a charm.
Yeah, my kids just always have low expectations. Abby's hair is so cute, I'm going to have to take lessons from you.
That's pretty much our Valentines Day every year. I don't ever have the energy :).
Post a Comment