We got an early start and were on the road by 6 a.m. As we were getting on the freeway, Ben noticed that we had forgotten to bring our license plate map game. It wasn't worth the 15 minute detour to go
home and get it, so we decided to just make a list. It took us all the way to Lehi to get a list
of 50 states. We need to work on our
geography skills. Emily was our scribe. I loved her creative spelling of the state
names (i.e. Keneticate). We stopped in
Layton to get some hot, fresh donuts from Krispy Kreme. We made it to Arches around 10:30. Our first objective was to do the
hike to Delicate Arch. By the time we
got to the trailhead, ate some lunch, took a potty break, and got everyone
slathered with sunblock, it was almost noon.
It was HOT and the hike was tough, but the kids were troopers. Nate made a deal with Abby that he would
carry her once we got to the slickrock if she would walk the rest of the way
without complaining. It worked. She trucked along with the rest of us without
whining. We were grateful for the squirt
bottle to help keep us cool and happy that my camelback really did keep our
water cold for the whole hike. I laughed
at myself for making an effort to do the girls' hair before we set out. Between sweating and squirting themselves in
the face with water, they looked like ragamuffins by the time we got to the
top. We saw some older people starting
up the trail when we were on our way down.
When I said something to the kids about doubting they could make it, Ben
said “Bishop Foulger could make it and he’s 70.” Ben wants to be just like Bishop Foulger when
he grows up. I think that would be
wonderful. We drove around the park to
see a few of the other arches/rock formations and did some short hikes. The kids were impressed with the cool arches
and loved playing with the fine grained red sand.
After spending the day in the sun, we were all very ready to
get to our hotel and go swimming. We had
the pool pretty much to ourselves. It
was great to cool off after a long day.
Nate's friend at work is from Monticello and told us to try out the
pizza at Wagon Wheel Pizza. The food was
just okay, but Abby made it memorable by knocking over a tall glass of root
beer. Fun times.









2 comments:
Arches is fun! I'm glad you guys had a great time and all your pictures look fantastic.
BTW- I love the changes to the blog. Have you listened to the audio book I gave you yet?
Reading about your trip backyards, now I get Ben's brown liquid comment. ha ha Those arches are amazing, someday I need to make it there!
Post a Comment