After checking out of the White Eagle Inn, we stopped by
Walmart to pick up some essentials.
While we were there they announced that they were taking an extra 50%
off all clearance merchandise. We ended
up leaving with a cart-full of Legos. I
wasn't sure how we were going to fit all of those boxes in our already loaded
van, but Nate managed. He can work
miracles when he wants to prove me wrong.
We left Cortez and headed off to the Four Corners
Monument. It wasn't really what I was
expecting. A dirt road and a dirt
parking lot and lots of vendors set up all around the monument. Really we were just there for the photo
op. The kids had fun posing and being in
four states at once. Since I didn't know
there would be people there selling food, we had picked up lunch in
Cortez. I felt bad about missing out on
some authentic Navajo fry bread, so we stopped in Tuba City to get some. We found some nice Navajo ladies selling fry
bread on the side of the road. It was so
yummy and very worth the stop.
We got to the Grand Canyon earlier than we had expected, so
we had time to make a few stops on the way to our hotel. We went to the Desert View Watchtower
first. The views were amazing. Then we headed to the South Rim Visitor Center,
but it was already closed. The kids got
a good laugh at the warning sign with a picture of a guy throwing up from heat
exhaustion. We took a little walk down
to a lookout to see the canyon at sunset and got to pass some elk that were
grazing about 20 feet away. Abby was
super excited to ride the shuttle back to the parking lot. It was definitely a highlight of the trip for
her. Nate got to use some Spanish
speaking skills with some people on the shuttle who were visiting from
Spain. They had been talking about our
family for a couple of minutes (nothing mean) when Nate started talking to
them. The look on their faces was
priceless when they realized that he understood what they had been saying. I love that he is multi-lingual.












1 comment:
I love Elise's back bend on the four corners.
I think that poster of the guy throwing up was based on Austin. :)
I love how much fun you guys seem to have together.
Post a Comment