I have a hard time knowing where to draw the line when the instructions say that parents should “assist your child, but let them do the work." It’s tricky to figure out how much help is too much help. She made the quality model magic sculpture all by herself (she let Elise help with some of the leaves) and she did all of the typing. I just helped her with the formatting part. It took us 20 minutes to find a font she was happy with (like mother, like daughter), and she had definite opinions about what colors we should use. I’ll probably outgrow it, but for now I think school projects are pretty fun.
Thursday, May 6, 2010
First Grade Bug Expo
Emily did a fun little science project this last week. Each first grader got to pick an insect that they wanted to learn about and then make a display to show what they had learned. Yesterday they set up their displays in the gym so the whole school could walk through and see them. Emily did a great job with her project and we all learned a bit more about walking sticks.

I have a hard time knowing where to draw the line when the instructions say that parents should “assist your child, but let them do the work." It’s tricky to figure out how much help is too much help. She made the quality model magic sculpture all by herself (she let Elise help with some of the leaves) and she did all of the typing. I just helped her with the formatting part. It took us 20 minutes to find a font she was happy with (like mother, like daughter), and she had definite opinions about what colors we should use. I’ll probably outgrow it, but for now I think school projects are pretty fun.
I have a hard time knowing where to draw the line when the instructions say that parents should “assist your child, but let them do the work." It’s tricky to figure out how much help is too much help. She made the quality model magic sculpture all by herself (she let Elise help with some of the leaves) and she did all of the typing. I just helped her with the formatting part. It took us 20 minutes to find a font she was happy with (like mother, like daughter), and she had definite opinions about what colors we should use. I’ll probably outgrow it, but for now I think school projects are pretty fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow. We are so different, Malin. I can't stand school projects that require ANY parent "help". I say that if the kids can't do something from start to finish completely by themselves than DON'T SEND IT HOME. I'm not bitter or anything. . .actually yes, I am. Perhaps I'll grow out of that. :-)
I'm impressed, she did a great job!
Post a Comment