Thursday, September 2, 2010

Birthday Highlights (and Lowlight)

Birthday Highlights

-Fresh donuts for breakfast.

-Taking Elise to her first day of kindergarten. It is a blessing to have such independent kids. I wasn’t worried for one second about how she would do and she had a great first day. She has a couple of friends in her class and she loves her teacher. I think she is going to have lots of fun this year.


-Going out to lunch with Nate and Abby. I love listening to Nate speak Spanish to the waitresses at Javier’s. Abby loved the one on one time with Mom and Dad and she loved the food. After one bite of my enchilada, she turned to me and said “This is lots better than the ones you make at our house.” Thanks Abby. I have to agree.

-Walking home from school with the kids. My mom sent me a birthday card that plays accordion music (the chicken dance song) when you open it. Abby was holding it in her stroller and we got to listen to it the whole way there and back.




-Taking an afternoon nap.

-Fun presents.

-Chinese food for dinner.

-Watching Wipeout with Nate and the kids. We had originally planned to go boating, but it wasn’t really warm enough (plus my back is still not quite right). Plan B was dinner and a movie. By the time we were done with dinner, there wasn’t enough time for a movie before bedtime, so we moved to Plan C (Wipeout). Listening to my kids laugh out loud for an hour was a great way to spend the night.

-Lots of phone calls and email/Facebook messages from family and friends.

Birthday Lowlight:

-Getting eliminated from the ward water fight. Nate and I stopped at Walmart before lunch to pick up a few things. We were heading to the checkout when I was suddenly blasted with cold water. We had seen my friend from the ward when we came in and talked to her for a second. Little did I know that I was her husband’s water fight target. She called him at work and he drove to Walmart just to get me out. That’s dedication! The good news is that he didn’t ask me who his next target was. I’ve had Nate’s name since the second week of July, so he’s had “spousal immunity”. We were both wondering what we were going to do when Tracey asked who he was supposed to get next. Nate was all set to sprint to the van, but luckily he never asked. He totally could have taken us both out at the same time. So, Nate is back to looking like a dork and wearing a tie every time he leaves the house and I am now worry-free. I made it to the top 15 (out of 80+). That’s not too shabby.

8 comments:

Celeste Ferguson said...

Top 15 is pretty good!! :)

Heidi said...

Sounds like a great day and that's hilarious he drove all the way to Walmart. Your ward is funny!

Hilary said...

I'll be surprised if Nate isn't the last man standing. You guys are too dedicated to not go the distance.

Parry Family said...

I love the water fight stories and Nate in a tie walking the kids home from school. Glad to hear you had a good Birthday.

Amy said...

I love the picture of your 3 oldest walking home from school, hands held or around each other's shoulders. Glad to see they are good friends and still aren't afraid to show it!

Kaylynn said...

Glad you had a fun day - even though you get wet:)

Jody said...

So, let's be honest. Did you stage the pic with your kids walking up the hill? Never mind...I don't want to know. It is one of my all time favorites.

Malinda said...

I really didn’t stage it, but there is a back story. Nate and I were walking to meet them and here comes Ben all by himself. We’ve lectured them 107 times about sticking together, so I asked “Ben, where are your sisters?” He growled and stomped back to meet them. Elise and Emily were already holding hands . . . that’s pure sweetness. The arm around Emily’s shoulder should really be interpreted as Ben saying “hurry up”, not a sign of him being a protective older brother. But, the picture sure looks cute (if you don’t know all of that). :)