Monday, September 27, 2010

Fun Weekend

Saturday started like all Saturdays at this house . . . with soccer games. I like weeks when I get to go to all three kids’ games. It hardly ever happens. It seems like the girls have switched soccer personalities this year. Elise was pretty aggressive last year, but this year she’s been kind of laid back. There are a couple of really good players on her team, and I think she is content to kind of hang back and let them go with it. Emily, on the other hand, has stepped it up a bit. She’s getting into the action a little more this season and has scored a goal in each of her last two games.



The big excitement of this week’s games was at Ben’s game. The other team only had four players show up, so Nate had two players from his team wear pennies and play with the other team each quarter to even things up. Ben’s turn was during the third quarter. He was mad about it and said he wasn’t going to play hard for the other team. I gave him a quick pep-talk/lecture and told him that I expected him to play his very best even if it was for the other team. Half way through 3rd quarter, I said to Nate “um, I said very best . . . not better than you’ve ever played before.” He was really working out there. In the fourth quarter, he was back on our team and he scored TWO goals. TWO GOALS! Just for context, that is twice as many as he has scored in the last five years of playing soccer. I was so excited that I’m sure I embarrassed him (and myself) by jumping up and down and screaming. It’s a rare day when all three kids win their games. It was great.


Abby inherited a pair of cleats from a friend, so now she can get decked out from head to toe to go to the games or play soccer in the backyard. She’s a cutie.


I went with my mom and sisters to Relief Society Conference Saturday night. I know I have said it before, but this is really one of my favorite traditions. There is something lovely about hanging out with people with whom you can totally be yourself. Plus, Lesle told me that my hair “looks like a model’s.” It doesn’t . . . but it still made me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. We went to Sizzler for dinner. We had a great waitress that brought us extra shrimp. I ate way too much. Then we went to Jody’s stake center for the broadcast. President Monson’s talk was awesome. I loved how straightforward and funny he was. I’m going to listen to his talk once a week until I get better at being charitable.

Our nice neighbor across the street gave us tickets to Weber State’s homecoming football game, so Nate took the kids there while I was at the conference. I met up with them during the fourth quarter. I had missed all the drama of the long walk to the stadium and scraped knees and searching for a first aid station. By the time I got there, everyone was settled and we could just have fun. The weather was perfect and since it was homecoming, they even had fireworks after the game. It was a fun family night.


Sunday was our ward’s Primary program. Nate sat with our class on the stand, so I got to sit in the congregation and just watch. The kids did a great job. All three of them had memorized their parts (Abby even memorized Elise’s so she wouldn’t feel left out) and presented them very well. I really love the songs that they learned this year. There are a couple of them that make me tear up every time I hear them. I worry a lot about my kids with all of the craziness in the world. I’m trying to have faith that if we give them a good foundation, they’ll be okay. Yesterday made me feel like we are at least on the right track.

Jody and Kevin and Grandma Reatha came over for Sunday dinner. The girls were thrilled to take a turn feeding Sarah. She is such a cute chubby baby. Her little fat rolls remind me of Ben's at that age.



2 comments:

Kaylynn said...

That does sound like a fun weekend. I love busy weekends. I would like to watch you be a soccer Mom.

Heidi said...

What a great weekend! Way to go Ben!! You're awesome!
I love Abby all decked out.
I think you're an amazing mom! Someday I want to be like you. :)