Thursday, December 9, 2010

Holiday Kickoff

We kicked off the holiday season with a few fun events this last weekend. There’s a church in the next town that does a big nativity display. I heard about it from my neighbor last year and I was excited to check it out. It was pretty amazing. They had all different kinds of nativities from all around the world. I was worried the kids would get bored after a few minutes, but there was so much variety that it really held their attention. Having four kids in a cultural hall full of impossible-to-replace breakables, was a little nerve-wracking for me, but they were really great about obeying the “look but don’t touch” rule. I think we might make it a yearly tradition. Maybe next time I will think to take a picture.

Saturday morning was our ward Christmas breakfast. The food was delicious as always. Ben and Emily got to read a little part in the program and all of the Primary kids sang a song. Abby went up with Elise. She didn’t sing a word, but she sure loved being up there. She is so excited to go to Sunbeams next year and can’t wait to learn all of the Primary songs.

Since we won a free membership to the Treehouse Museum, we thought we should take advantage of some of the member-only events before it expires. Saturday night was their annual “Santa’s Cookies and Milk” party. The kids had fun seeing Santa and playing in their pajamas. Family Treehouse visits are lots more fun than class fieldtrips.





Monday night we decorated gingerbread houses for Family Home Evening. The kids loved it! They didn’t want to stop when it was time for bed, so we left everything out and let them finish on Tuesday night. Abby wouldn’t let anyone help her. She decorated hers all by herself (in between sucking a half a cup of frosting out of her decorating bag). I got bored just watching them, so I made one too. Nate got in on the action by making a cool lawn mower for Ben's house. It was a fun family activity.




I’m pleased to say that I’m feeling a bit more in the Christmas spirit. I’ve had seven 50-something moms (and one 20-something mom) tell me how I’m supposed to “relax and enjoy this time when my kids are small.” I’m trying hard. I still have a few projects to finish. My goal is to get them done this weekend so I can have a full two weeks to just “relax and enjoy.” We’ll see how that goes.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

For not being in the spirit you have been doing lots of fun stuff! I love the picture of Abby sucking frosting.

Claudy said...

I guess we switched roles now I'm the one kinda stressing about a million things to do :).
Thanks for the reminder of only 2 weeks left!

Malinda said...

Heidi, it's called "fake it till you feel it." It's my new holiday parenting philosophy.

Claudy, did you notice you are famous . . . you are the one twenty-something mom that told me to just relax. :)

Katie Jason said...

Where is the photo of your gingerbread house? I need to stop stressing too . . .I think if I just had 10 more hours in a day I would be all set :)