Thursday, December 16, 2010

Letters to Santa

We had a fun family night on Monday. We started off with the kids writing letters to Santa.


I love that Ben put a TM next to the name of every Lego set he requested. I was surprised that he didn’t put Hogwarts Castle since that is all he’s ever said he wanted. When I asked him about it, he said, “You said that Santa doesn’t bring $130 gifts, so I didn’t ask him for it. You and Dad can just get it.”


Emily has been the hardest kid to shop for this year. This is why. I even asked her what movie she wanted. “I don’t know.” Luckily Nate is a rockstar and found a perfect gift that I know she will love. Phew.


Magic – nope. Cat – nope. Dog – nope. New bed – nope. I sure hope this girl isn’t too disappointed on Christmas morning.


Abby has obviously been greatly influenced by Elise’s wish list. They have both been asking for a cat for a long time. Unfortunately they have me and Nate for parents. Every time Abby said “I want a cat”, I would say “You want a toy cat?” Apparently my strategy worked.

After the kids finished their letters, we went down to visit Santa. They were all so excited that we got to see the real Santa again this year and not just one of Santa’s helpers. That beard really has them convinced. I was happy that he gave the kids a little reminder about being good, keeping their rooms clean, and listening to their mom and dad. Thanks Santa!





When our turn was up, we headed over to Lee’s to pick up some quality Christmas light glasses. My friend blogged about them and they sounded really cool (I stole her pictures since ours didn’t turn out so great . . . THANKS CELESTE!). They just look like cheap 3D glasses, but when you put them on they change Christmas lights into other shapes. The kids tried out every pair in the store (about seven times each) and then picked their favorite. Abby got the angels, Elise the star, Emily the snowman, and Ben the snowflake. Listening to their oohs and aahs/squeals of delight on the way home was definitely worth the eight bucks.



Yesterday we got Santa’s reply letters. I don’t know who is in charge of typing them up, but I love that they personalized them a bit. The kids were thrilled.




5 comments:

Heidi said...

I love the TM that Ben did, I love how his brain works.
I also love that Elise asked for magic.
Where did you send your letters to so that Santa could reply back?
Sounds like a great family home evening. I can't wait until my kids can write letters like that.

Celeste Ferguson said...

I loved their letters! I am glad you found the glasses. Aren't they fun!?! :)

Malinda said...

Heidi, they just have a little mailbox set up outside of Santa's house (by Lee's). If you get your letters there by noon on December 20th (and provide a self-addressed stamped envelope), Santa will send a reply before Christmas.

Your boys could totally do it. Abby dictated her letter to me. It was funny when I asked her if I should tell Santa that she's been good. She got a funny look on her face and acted all sweet and said "I'm trying to be good." She had been a major stinker that day and I think she knew should couldn't full-on lie to Santa. :)

Parry Family said...

I loved Ben's letter and his comment "you and dad can get it" JD and I were both laughing out loud. I am with you on the cat and dog. Lexie has asking since she could talk. I figure everyone around us has cats and dogs so she can enjoy them with out the clean up and feeding part.

EmWJ said...

I asked Elise what she wanted yesterday in the car and she recited those four things. I told her that she couldn't get both a dog and a cat, because they would fight. And it made me laugh that she wanted a bed. I just couldn't imagine a bed under the Christmas tree.