It was no surprise that Emily wanted something art
related. She found a cute car online
that looked like a box of crayons that she wanted to copy. It seemed complicated, so I suggested that
she do watercolors instead. She thought
that was a great idea. We had an old set
of watercolors with removable cups (they don't make them like that anymore). Most of the paint was used up, so Emily washed
them out and put in the little discs of paint from a new set. Nate drilled out little ovals to put the paint
cups in and cut a groove for the paintbrush.
Emily was in charge of sanding and painting. The finished product looked awesome.
Nate made all of the strategic adjustments (adding weight,
polishing the axles, and using graphite).
When he tested the cars out here, they were equally fast. Emily’s did better on the night of the race
and she finished in 3rd place out of 22 cars. Elise was a little disappointed (more about
only being able to race once than about not placing), but she got over it.
I’m glad the girls have such high effort Activity Day
leaders and a great dad that will go out of his way to make them happy. Abby is already planning her car. She helped the girls make one when Ben had
his pinewood derby, but she wants one of her very own. Hopefully this activity will make an appearance
again in a few years.
3 comments:
I'm so glad they had fun. Their cars were super cute! I think the one thing I would have changed was to have had some "free race" time. The girls unofficially raced a bit at the beginning and at the end, but with dinner and the real races, there wasn't a ton of time to play on the track (like I wished I could have had my girls race each other) before we needed to pack it up and get it out.
Those are amazing cars! What a fun time for them with their dad.
All of these projects - hurt my head! You guys are crazy crafty around your place...derby cars, V-Day boxes, Dr. Seuss outfits, heart-shaped braids, etc. Way to go....:)
Post a Comment