Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Leprechaun's Day

Last year we totally dropped the ball on St. Patrick’s Day.  It fell on a Saturday and I had just had foot surgery.  That was a bad combination.  Elise and Abby made an elaborate trap to catch the leprechaun, but he never came.  No green food.  No clues to find a pot of gold.  Nothing.  It was a big parent fail (leading Elise to declare it “the worst Leprechaun’s Day EVER!”) 

This year was much more successful.  Nate started us off on the right foot with yummy green crepes for breakfast.


The girls made another trap based on the idea that leprechauns are super strong, but can’t lift Styrofoam (a little “fact” that Emily picked up in 2nd grade).  They taped a Polly Pocket to a Styrofoam cup and hung the cup from the ceiling of their little leprechaun house.  They figured he would get trapped under the cup in the process of freeing the cute Polly, but that sneaky leprechaun managed to untie her and push her under the cup instead of getting himself trapped.  Better luck next year. 



We came home from church to find that the leprechaun had been here and left clues leading to a pot of gold.  He also took a little pit stop in our bathroom.  Abby is the only true believer left in the house, but all of the kids got a kick out it.  It was a fun day. 






5 comments:

Heidi said...

Your dropping the ball is my normal. My poor kids need parents like your two!

Nicholle said...

We made green eggs and ham, that's about it. We're a very boring family.

Heather said...

I like the toilet scene. Clever.

Katie Jason said...

I am definitely a failure at holidays! I love how Ben is standing with his hands in his pockets . . . he looks so grown up :)

Kaylynn said...

I am glad you had a holiday redo. You were successful this year. Good work. We had a non-eventful St. Patrick's Day this year. We did all wear green to church and I was disappointed that hardly any people wore green.