Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween

We had a fun few days celebrating Halloween.

Thursday was Elise’s preschool party. Abby and I went over to help the kids make a little craft project and do a trunk-or-treat. The girls were excited to finally get to wear their costumes and had lots of fun.



Ben and Emily had their school parties on Friday. Nate took the day off and we all headed over to the school in the morning for the parade. Then I stayed to help with the first grade party. Elise had a fieldtrip scheduled at the Punkinaze that afternoon, but since it was snowing I talked her out of it. Instead we rented the new Tinkerbell movie from redbox for her and Abby. Everyone was happy.



Friday night was our family party. We played some of the kids’ favorite Halloween games and added a few new twists with a balloon stomp, black lights, and cool prizes from Aunt Jody. It was great fun.


We carved pumpkins on Saturday morning. The kids were all really great about doing their own (with a little help from me and Nate). Abby was surprisingly happy about reaching in and pulling out the seeds and guts. I don’t think any of our other kids would touch the stuff at that age.


We had mummy dogs* for lunch and then took the kids to Lee’s for some trick-or-treating. Nate let me take a nap when we got home while he played with the kids in the backyard. They shot slingshot rockets, launched Ben’s spinner helicopter, jumped on the trampoline, and had sword fights. We had jack-o-lantern quesadillas* for dinner and then got ready for trick-or-treating. Nate took the kids around our neighborhood while I passed out candy; then we switched and I took them to a few more houses in our ward. The weather was perfect and the kids had loads of fun. We would have stayed out longer, but Ben had a stomachache. I kept telling him that we could go home, but he would say/groan “I’ll be okay; I don’t want to miss out on any of the fun.” The kids ended up with TONS of candy. My job is going to be to police Elise’s treat intake. Hers will be gone in four days unless I impose some serious rationing.

Nate and I were slackers this year and didn’t even dress up. We were planning on being Star Trek guys with our “free with 9 tokens” shirts from Kellogg’s, but they didn’t arrive in time. Maybe next year.






*Food ideas courtesy of Amity. Thanks!

6 comments:

Claudy said...

Maddie really likes Abby's costume the best! She sat on my lat and she made comments about every single one of your pictures. She loved the mask on the kitty. The embellishment look Awesome! Good job finding the jacket for Ben. It worked out really well!

dcscrivy said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun, your costumes that you worked so hard on turned out great! Good job.

amity said...

your costumes turned out amazing!! you are quite the seamstress!! do you hire out? your week/weekend were quite eventful. i am glad you had fun with your food (that was sweet that you gave me credit). i love the jack-o-lanterns!! what a great holiday!!!

Ker-Dog and the gang said...

You are an amazing mom Malin! the girls costumes are incredible as always. love the photo shoot!

Kaylynn said...

The costumes look awesome, especially the girls' head and feet accessories. You are an over achiever!

Heidi said...

You are amazing! I can't believe you made those masks and the leg things. You are way to hard on yourself. I think next year I'm putting my order in for my kids costumes. Ben's costume looks great as well.
Sounds like you guys had a blast.