Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Retro Post - Halloween

1998 – Nate and I went on our first date on Halloween. I was a doctor and he was an injured terrorist. He made himself cool gloves with chicken bones and fake blood. The picture is a scan of a color copy, and I’m a little bugged with my double chin and the fact that you can see the gum in my mouth. Still, it’s fun to see where it all started.



1999 – I guess we didn’t take a lot of pictures before we had kids. This was the only one I could find with either of us. Apparently we dressed up like army guys and went to a party at Holly’s house.



2000 – Nate looks SO YOUNG in this picture (and has a whole lot of hair!). I was seven months pregnant with Ben.



2001 – Our first Halloween with kids. I was so excited to make Ben’s costume and had it done two months ahead of time. What happened to that girl that was so on top of things?




2002 – We moved into our new house five days before Halloween. Ben was almost two and was not about to sit still for a picture with his little sister. Emily was just cute and tiny. I love the picture of the kids with their cousins. It’s fun to see how much they have all grown up since then.





2003 – We were going for the cat and mouse theme . . . a leopard is technically a cat.




2004 – Ben was obsessed with Shrek, so I had to make his costume. The girls were too young to have opinions, so we just recycled some old costumes.




2005 – Ben was going to be a fireman this year until our neighbor across the street brought over her son’s old dinosaur costume. It was at the height of Ben’s dinosaur phase and he was in love. Emily was all about princesses and wanted to be Cinderella. I was worried about Elise feeling bad when she was older that she always had hand-me-down costumes, so I bought her a penguin costume instead of having her wear the mouse one. Sometimes I worry about silly things.

The first picture is from when we took the kids on the Heber Creeper's Haunted Canyon ride. Ben was so excited about going, but was sick that day (aka, threw up in the car on the way down). That’s why he looks so sad.






2006 – It is crazy to see all three kids when they still had some baby fat. I love their squishy, round cheeks.



2007 – This marks the beginning of the girls’ love of Barbie princesses and Ben’s love of superheroes/video games.




2008 – Our first (and possibly last) full family theme year.




9 comments:

EmWJ said...

Oh this was fun to look through, what a delightful trip through the Nelson's Halloweens-past!

amity said...

thank you for posting halloween's of the past!! it was fun to see you grow as a family while dressed in an array of costumes. you family is so cute and my favorite by far is the star wars costumes. i remember your family was the hit of the ward halloween party!!

amity said...

thank you for posting halloween's of the past!! it was fun to see you grow as a family while dressed in an array of costumes. you family is so cute and my favorite by far is the star wars costumes. i remember your family was the hit of the ward halloween party!!

dcscrivy said...

That is fun that you guys get into it, makes it fun and memorable. I loved your Star wars theme last year, it was very cute!

Claudy said...

I think it's great that Nate and you dress up!! Keep up with the family theme stuff, you're making great memories for the kids to have.

Katie Jason said...

That was a great post! I wish I lived closer to you guys! You seriously must be the most fun mom!

Heidi said...

That was so fun to see and remember. I love the one of you as a hippie chick, hilarious! You definitely set the bar high.

Hilary said...

Wow. I have no words. I'm officially a Halloween "stick in the mud". The last time I dressed up for Halloween was the USU Howl in 1994. Are you cringing?

Ker-Dog and the gang said...

I'm all about re-using costumes. I think we'd be the star wars crew for the next 10 years if we ever had costumes that cool!