
We’ve had a minor rodent invasion at our house. Nate spotted a little furry guy scurrying across the kitchen floor Monday night. We set a trap that night and Ralph met his demise. We figured we were done … one random mouse had come in when the kids left the door open and we had caught him … end of story. Wednesday morning we were eating breakfast and Emily thought she saw something run across the laundry room floor. We set another trap and had another dead mouse in the morning. Then, yesterday morning, Ben saw a mouse run into Abby’s old room, I saw one run under the entertainment center, and we both saw one that seemed to be having an epileptic seizure on the kitchen floor. I don’t exactly react calmly to things like that. The kids are still laughing at my little scream/jump/dance/throw water at the mouse combo. We set six more traps and added another kill to our record last night. I’m hoping that all three of yesterday’s sightings were of the same mouse and we might be able to close the book on this fun little chapter of our lives.
We are a bit baffled by the whole thing. The only other time we’ve ever seen in a mouse in our house was seven years ago when we first moved in. One mouse – one trap – the end. Going from zero mice to three (or more) in one week makes us wonder how they are all getting in. No offense to Mickey and his pals, but we’d prefer if they stayed out in the cold. We’re working against the clock to catch any remaining critters before they start to multiply and replenish.
On the bright side, the kids think it is all a great adventure and can’t get enough of this mouse excitement. Elise is seriously disappointed that she has yet to see one of our furry friends in action and all of the kids are really hoping that one of the mice isn’t Despereaux because “he knows how to outsmart the traps.”
9 comments:
What a fun adventure! He he. 2 years ago we had mice in our garden (thank goodness we didn't get them in our house!) and the kids thought it was great fun. But, I didn't like that they were eating all my tomatoes! So, I set up a sticky sort of trap that I found at Walmart.....well, a few mornings later, we had caught a mouse, but it was still ALIVE! We watched it suffer as most of it's body was stuck to this trap. Yuck! The kids were mortified and wanted me to set it free! So.... I donned some gloves and pulled this tiny mouse off the sticky paper and let it free in a field down the street. The problem was, it still had some of the extremely sticky stuff on it and so it couldn't walk very well and kept sticking to the grass. Poor mouse. The kids were in school (so they didn't see how pathetic it looked), so I just left it there to die. It felt somewhat bad about it suffering, but didn't know what else to do at that point. The things we do for our kids! We haven't had a mouse since. (I guess the word was spread that I am a mouse torturer!)
When Dan and I were first married we lived in a trailer (yep, we were trailer trash) that was parked in the middle of a hay field. We had TONS of mice and chased them around our living room with a baseball bat! He has a good mouse trap that involves peanut butter and a bucket, you'll have to ask him about it.
oooh...good luck with great mouse hunt! Great entertainment for the kids! I was just admiring your star wars costumes again. Isaac wants a jedi robe/costume for christmas. He's big into star wars now...he's been reading all the books this month (last month was harry potter) Any tips? Are you interested in selling Nate's costume! Lol, too bad it's too big!
That is so gross! Aaron told me that he thought a mouse had been in our garage and it freaked me out; I would lose it if I saw it in my house. It must be this time of year because my parents just found them in their house and somebody else told me they had them as well. Have fun and let me know when they are gone so I know when I can visit again. :)
Amy, I’m so glad Nate has done all of the corpse discovery and disposal. The first one we caught was on a sticky trap. Nate felt bad about it suffering forever, so he put it in a bucket of water so it would drown. Then we moved to snap traps so they are already dead when we find them. It’s all pretty gross.
Crystal, picturing you and Dan chasing mice with baseball bats made me laugh out loud. You guys are the coolest trailer trash I know. ;)
Keri, unless Isaac has had a growth spurt and is now 6’3”, Nate’s would be a little long. I just used directions that I found online (http://www.degraeve.com/jedirobe/). It was really easy. Do you sew? Is your mom still in town? She could whip one up for you.
Heidi, you’ll appreciate this story. Yesterday, my friend told me that her daughter (who is in Elise’s preschool class) told her “Elise said we can’t play at her house anymore because they have rats.” Lovely.
We had the same problem a few years ago. It was awful. We now make sure the garage door is closed at all times(especially when it's cold outside). And we bought some orange foam stuff(I'm sure it has a proper name other than orange foam stuff) and used it in every nook and cranny in the garage. It's worked. It grosses me out to know they keep a permanent residence in the bushes behind the neighbors across the street. The bushes are L.V.H. property so there isn't much that can be done about them.
We had a couple of mice about a month ago in our garage. I am like up and don't handle seeing them very well. Lexie still sticks her head out the door and looks all around the garage before stepping one foot in. Who am I kidding I still do it too! I hate mice. Hope you got rid of all of them.
I HATE mice. Me and mice can't live in the same house. I hope you get rid of them all soon.
That is sooo funny . . . . GET A CAT :-)
Post a Comment