
Tuesday, July 26, 2011
Latest Chore Chart
We’ve tried to make the most of our time this summer and we have played lots. But, life isn’t all about playing. We have to work too. It seems like every year I implement a new chore system to keep the kids motivated to help out. I put together our latest version at the first of the summer. I got the basic idea from another blog, and adapted it to fit our needs. I made cards with just about every job I have the kids do and the wage they can earn for doing that job. (There is an “extra job” category for the odds and ends that come up.) I busted out my cool laminator to make it fancy/durable and recruited Nate’s help to make the card holder. It is easily the prettiest chore chart we have ever had. More importantly, it has been very effective. Every night after the kids are in bed, I put their assignments for the next day into their job pockets. When they finish the job, they can move the card into the “done” pocket. We pay up each night at bedtime. The kids know that they have to do their jobs before they can play, so lots of mornings I have woken up to the sound of someone taking out the garbage or emptying the dishwasher. It is lovely. The real secret is for me to have their jobs waiting when they get up in the morning. They’ll do seven jobs without complaining as long as they are in their pockets first thing in the morning. If I wait until later and ask who wants to sweep the floor, I hear “not me” in a four part chorus.


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
okay, that is so awesome!! do you make these and sell them? i would totally love to buy one. i think i might have to head on over and copy the whole darn system. i love how beautiful the whole thing looks also. i also love the banking system. amazing!!
I agree! That's awesome!! I am going to have to try this! :)
So I love all your organizational methods, like your color coordinated dish rags, and your closets, and now this, I seriously need your help. I think I am just going to have to copy you! Make sure you post all these types of things!
This system is Ben tested and Ben approved. He really likes it! He kinda gave me a sales pitch on how he thinks my kids would love it. It was funny to hear him talk about it. I might just have to buy into it.
Do you still have all the info on your computer ready to be e-mailed and printed??? That would be so sweet!!!!
so i am wondering the same thing as claudy. do you have them all ready to share? i would love your downloads. please, please email them to me. then you should do a class on how to make the holders, the envelopes, and the bank. totally interested. where do i sign up and when do we start? on the other hand, maybe my kids would do so much better if i just sent them to live with you. any takers?
Hey Claudy and Amity, I just made the cards in Excel. They are very much customized to my house/kids, so I don't know helpful they will be, but I will send them to you.
I would like to buy one too. Just put it on my tab. :)
Add me to your list! You rock my world! We'll need something for the school year (or next summer, etc. - you can never have too many ideas for chores) - send me whatever lists the others requested:)
Post a Comment