Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Piano Recital


The kids had their piano recital on Monday.  Ben played Chariot Race and The Fly’s Adventure.  He was a little upset when he was done because he had messed up a couple of times.  No one really noticed, but he acted like it was the end of the world.  He felt better by the end of the recital after hearing the less-than-perfect performances by some of the other kids.  I don’t know where my kids get their perfectionist streak, but I sure hope they outgrow it.


Elise only started taking lessons in January, so this was her first recital.  She was pretty nervous and kept asking me questions while she was waiting for her turn to make sure she did everything the right way . . . “It says Rain, Rain on the program, but it is really called Rainy Day, which way should I say it?”, “Should I have the book open when I go up or wait until I get up there?”, etc.  I assured her that it didn’t really matter and that she would do fine.  She played a duet of Can You Feel the Love Tonight? with her teacher and then played Rainy Day.  She did a great job on both songs and breathed a big sigh of relief when she was done.


Emily was the last one on the program.  She and her teacher did a duet of Beach Party and then she played Someday (from The Hunchback of Notre Dame).  She played beautifully.  I love that the kids are getting good enough that it is actually enjoyable to listen to them play (even if it is the same song over and over 100 times).


I was really proud of all three of the kids.  They worked hard to memorize their songs and were really good about practicing.  They have loved going to Sister Bartholomew and have all improved under her instruction.  I was a little worried about switching piano teachers when Sister Shelton retired.  The kids were doing so well with her, that I didn’t want to rock the boat.  It turns out I was worried for nothing.  We are pretty darn lucky to have two excellent piano teachers within walking distance from our house.


5 comments:

Heidi said...

Way to go! You guys are awesome!

Nicholle said...

They all did great. Ben sounds a little like my boys, they can be so hard on themselves.

Claudy said...

Nice! All three did a fabulous job.

Kaylynn said...

Sweet! It makes all of the work and practice and lessons worth it!

Heather said...

Hooray for all of you - I know it is a 'group effort'...