Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I Can Do Hard Things

When I heard Sister Dalton say that sentence in conference, I thought “that is something I want my kids to know.” So, that was the topic of our family home evening lesson last night. Nate told the story of David and Goliath and we talked about faith and courage and doing hard things. Then, we busted out the life-size Goliath that I made for a Primary activity a few years back and let the kids hurl marshmallows at his head with pool noodle “slingshots.” They had lots of fun. Abby was more than happy to eat any stray marshmallows that she found on the floor. Yum.


5 comments:

amity said...

you are such an awesome mother. i love your goliath. i remember him from primary. i might have to copy the idea for my own family. what a great idea!!!

Heidi said...

What a great family home evening idea! You need to write all of your ideas down and share them!

Malinda said...

Heidi, here are my ideas for 98% of our Family Home Evenings.

Song, Prayer, Scripture

Read a story from the Friend/tell the story from a Gospel Art Kit picture

Activity (soccer, frisbee, hide and seek, UNO . . . whatever the kid in charge picks)

Treat

We do make sure to have FHE every week, but we are pretty low effort most of the time. Our high effort ones are always recycled from things I did for a sharing time or primary activity.

Dale Clarke said...

I remember that Goliath from our Primary Activity - you were awesome to make it for us! And I'm glad to see you using it again, I bet your kids loved it. You are way better than me on doing FHE, half the time we don't even have an activity or treat (maybe our kids would behave better during it if we did though.)

Ker-Dog and the gang said...

Malin I have had the "I can do hard things" since reading your post. It's such a great motivating thought. I wish I was cool to have a big Goliath like you but maybe we'll have a smaller version for our lesson on Monday.