Sunday, August 9, 2009

Teach Me to Walk in the Light

The ward music director asked us last week if our family would sing in sacrament meeting. Since God didn’t bless me with a good singing voice, I was off the hook, but I said that Nate and the kids would be happy to sing. Today was the big day. We picked Teach Me to Walk in the Light. Ben, Emily, and Elise sang the first verse by themselves, Nate sang the second verse, and they all sang together on the third verse. I was a little afraid that the kids would get stage fright or forget the words or something, but they did a fabulous job. Abby wanted to go up with them. There was a moment when I thought that it was a big mistake to let her. Nate carried her up to the stand and she started yelling (she wanted to walk up by herself). Luckily when she turned around and saw everyone looking at her she stopped. She knows all the words to the first verse and yesterday when we practiced she sang along. I thought maybe she would do it again today, but there were just too many people looking at her.



I just about laughed out loud when the high councilman who spoke today referred to our family in his talk – “…like that family that sang today; you can tell that they have it all together.” He obviously isn’t around on all the days when the kids are fighting and I’m yelling and things are basically chaotic. Still, it is good that occasionally everything goes according to plan and we at least look like a family who has it all together.

7 comments:

Claudy said...

You guys did a fabulous job!!! We loved it, but not enough to want to trade places with you(lets keep things in perspective here,we have no musical talent). Keep it up... we wouldn't mind listening to you guys a few Sundays a year.

EmWJ said...

As one who knows, Nate and the kids did amazing. They sounded so beautiful!

Although I had to giggle (silently) at Abby, when walking down the stairs from the podium with Ben, firmly said something like "No, I can do it," and walked back up the stairs and then carefully walked down by herself.

I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the 2s.

And your girls' hair looked beautiful. I think I'm going to have to buy some of those curlformers. They are a bit pricey, but the end result looks darling!

Claudy said...

Also...the girls hair looked great. I might have to go and buy some of those curler you use and then you can teach me how to use them on Madison.

dcscrivy said...

I am so sad that I missed that, I bet it was wonderful. I love it when kids get up and sing.

Malinda said...

Emily, that is a funny story (although I'm glad I didn't notice it at the time). I can just hear Abby saying "I can do it myself" . . . in fact I've already heard it 47 times today.

Thanks again for playing the piano. We appreciate it.

amity said...

i am so sorry we missed it. your family is so darling!! your girls hair always looks beautiful but i love their curls.

Heidi said...

Your kids all look so cute in that picture! I also love the hair and if my boys hair was long enough I might have to go get some of those too. :)
I've been at your house and you do have it all together!