Wednesday, October 7, 2009

First Grade Fieldtrip

Yesterday was Emily’s turn for a fieldtrip. We spent the morning at the Ogden Nature Center. It was fun to see my sometimes shy Emily raising her hand in a big group to answer questions. She explained the difference between insects and spiders and between birds and mammals. The mom/science teacher in me was so proud. When I said something about it to her later, she said “Mostly it’s because of Ben.” I’m glad that his obsession with science books and Planet Earth is educating the whole family.



After the Nature Center, we headed to the trout farm. We ate lunch and then the kids got to play with bubbles, catch a fish, walk through the corn maze, and pick a cool gourd to take home. Emily was very proud of herself for holding a fish in her bare hands. I was proud of myself for taking the hook out of its mouth. We had a great time together.



5 comments:

amity said...

so glad to see you had so much fun!! it didn't look that cold. i love the picture of the two of you. kasen had a blast. oh and by the way, i asked kasen if he wanted me to go and he said no he just wanted to be alone. sorry wish i could have been there.

Heidi said...

I'm proud of both of you for touching the fish. I think I need to hang around Benn more to regenerate some of my brain cells.

Claudy said...

I'm glad you got to see Emily being confident in raising her hand in front of her friends. That's awesome! You should be a proud mom. I now know many interesting facts about animals thanks to your kids.

Amy said...

Emily is so cute and her hair is getting so long again! You are a great mom to go on field trips with your kids. Looks like this was a fun one!

Malinda said...

Amity, don't you just love it when kids say things like that. Abby still cries every day when Elise goes to school and says "I don't want to stay with you mom" about 27 times in a row. She's doing it right now. Lovely.

Anyway, it turned out to be a good day . . . nowhere near as cold or as boring (at the Nature Center) as I thought it would be. I'm glad that all of our kids are the same ages so we'll get lots of chances to hang out on these little trips.