Thursday, October 1, 2009

Planetarium Fieldtrip

Tuesday was Ben’s first fieldtrip of the year. It was my turn to be a parent volunteer. Nate has gone on lots more fieldtrips than I have since I was usually at home with a nursing baby. Now that all of the kids are older, I can go more easily. As much as I’ve been looking forward to this season in my life when I can be a regular on class fieldtrips, I’m already thinking about handing the job back to Nate. His personality is much more suited to fieldtrips than mine is. He is lots better at blocking out noise and naughtiness and doesn’t worry as much as I do if he loses track of one (or two) the kids in his group for a few minutes. I lack those skills.

That being said, we mostly had a good day. We rode FrontRunner down to Salt Lake, took TRAX to the Gateway, ate lunch by the fountain, and then headed over to the Planetarium. It is lots cooler than the planetarium that I went to when I was a kid. They have great displays and the kids really seemed to have fun and learn a lot. Ben’s favorite part was watching the movie on the cool dome-shaped screen. The train ride home was filled with a little friend drama, but the good news about being eight is that you get over things fast.

Ben with his friend Korbin on the train.

Ben’s class. They made their shirts the first week of school. The four designs are the four strokes you use in cursive handwriting.

This contraption was absolutely fascinating to every third grade boy.

I wish I had audio for this picture. It was quite amusing to hear Ben talking about the possible hurricane forming off the coast of Florida.

8 comments:

Katie Jason said...

I find that contraption absolutely fascinating when I go to the museum too!

Amy said...

I can just hear Ben giving the weather report - he would be awesome!

amity said...

it was such a fun day!!! that is a great picture of mrs. swanson's class all together. i should have had you take a picture of braylie and me.

amity said...

oh yeah, have fun at the nature center and the fish farm on tuesday!!!

Malinda said...

You're a brat Amity. My enthusiasm for Emily's fieldtrip hit a new low when I looked at the weather forecast this morning. Nothing makes taking a hook out of a fish's mouth more fun than freezing cold temperatures.

Sorry that I didn't take a picture of you guys. Next time. :)

amity said...

i asked kasen if he wanted me to go but he said nope. kinda felt bad, but not bad enough to plead my case. you are a great mom and will be thoroughly blessed when it is all said and done. call if you need help with your girls!!

Heidi said...

How fun. I didn't know boys had drama. I also can totally hear Ben doing the weather forecast. You are such a fun mom!

Claudy said...

All the blessings do go to Malinda tomorrow!!
I was honestly going to go on the field trip tomorrow(well only the fish farm part actually)but Korbin's teacher asked me to sub her class tomorrow and I have really been counting on this opportunity. I told madison you would be there and she liked that idea.I also made a $2 donation for a fish to make Maddie feel better I had changed my mind again. I'll be turning a small fish into fish sticks tomorrow night for dinner.