Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mixed Feelings

Last November, Nate and I were sporting six callings between the two of us (and had been for quite a while). I was a Primary teacher and the Bear Den Leader. Nate was the Cub Committee Chairman, the Building Maintenance Coordinator, a Primary teacher, and my Assistant Den Leader. We could add Visiting Teacher and Home Teacher to the list, but since I hardly ever go visiting teaching it doesn’t seem fair to count it. In November, Nate was called to be the Elders Quorum President. Since that time I’ve been waiting for the day when we would each have just one calling. It’s been a long time. It took a few months for them to release Nate from his other callings and find replacements (he’s still my Assistant Den Leader, but I’m okay with that). They told me that I was going to be released from Primary at the end of the year. Then they needed me for just a couple of weeks at the first of the new year. I wasn’t really released until the middle of April. Last week was the first week in a long time (almost eight years - minus a few months when Abby was a baby) that I have not gone to Primary, and I really missed it! For some reason it didn’t occur to me that being released from Primary meant that I had to go to Relief Society. It felt really weird. I even swung by the Primary room just to check to see if they needed a substitute. We’ve lived here for a long time and I know and love the ladies in Relief Society. They were all very nice to me, but it just didn’t feel like home. So, after months of listening for ward business to see if I was being released, it’s not all I thought it would be. Hopefully it will seem more normal in time. I am still listening for the Cub Scout release. I’ve heard rumors that it will be soon, so I’m guessing sometime in October. :)

8 comments:

Claudy said...

A few weeks of sitting in those comfy chairs and you'll be/feel right at home.
I will say though I will miss having you in Primary. Who's going to hear about my Primary randomness from now on. :)

behoxer said...

I can't believe you've been in Primary for that long!!! I know that feeling of hoping and waiting to be released though, and then when it happens you just want to go back or it just feels weird not to be there. Good luck with RS. You'll feel at home soon enough!

Heidi said...

I also got released from primary a couple of weeks ago and I feel the smae way. I don't quite know what to do with myself.

Kaylynn said...

Six callings is a lot. But Elder's Quorum president is a big calling, too. You are too good at being in scouts to ever get released.
We had to rearrange some visiting teaching assignments in our presidency meeting yesterday. We talked a lot about people who never go visiting teaching.

Amy said...

So the Primary callings that started with me are finally over?! :) In our new ward, I am finally not in Primary anymore and loving it. Dale and I got called to be on the Ward Gardening Committee. I'd never heard of that one before, but it's easy so far. I may not think so at harvest time though when I'm trying to help with the ward garden and work in my own. Anyway, I'm not even a VT yet, so I'm enjoying the break. You'll get used to R.S. and love it really soon!

Malinda said...

Maybe I should move to Bountiful. You have been there A LONG TIME to not be a Visiting Teacher yet. I think your name must have somehow fallen through the cracks. And Ward Gardening Committee? Really? Are you paying extra fast offerings or something to get off so easy? :) Ha ha ha.

Amy said...

Actually, we just moved to Farmington 2 months ago. Yeah, the Gardening Committee is definitely a made up calling. Our ward got 1/2 acre of land from the Stake Pres. to garden (or try to). We'll see how it works out.

Malinda said...

That explains it. I was wondering how you had gone this long without a VT assignment! I guess I should read your blog updates. :)