Sunday, May 1, 2011

Home Improvements

I’ve been itching to change things up at our house for a while. For the past year or so, we’ve had the girls all sleeping in one of the bedrooms upstairs. It was big enough for their beds, but not their stuff. Their dressers and bookcase were in the other upstairs bedroom. The spare bedroom downstairs (aka, “the yellow room”) was a multi-purpose guest room/craft room/storage room. It bugged me that it was always a mess and that it wasn’t very well-utilized space. I decided to move the girls into the bigger bedroom downstairs, and convert the upstairs bedrooms into a guest room and a craft room. We weren’t really planning on doing it right away, but once I got the idea in my head it was all I could think about until we got it done. We picked out the carpet on Friday, bought a new bed on Saturday, had the carpet installed on Wednesday, and got new dressers the next Sunday.

The girls love having a new room. Mostly. They really hate having to go downstairs to change their clothes. Hopefully they will get over that soon. I love that now all of the messy bedrooms can be downstairs (once I get the craft room fully organized). Out of sight, out of mind.

Here are few photos of their new room:




We knew that space would be an issue, so we wanted a captain’s bed. I started looking on KSL and found one just like Ben’s. Nate thought I was a little crazy when I told him it was in Hoytsville, but he loves me and drove all the way there to pick it up. It ended up being a super deal. It was listed for $180. We thought that was just for the frame, but it came with a mattress too. Plus, it had one little damaged spot so the lady knocked off another $20. Sweet!

We got both (not each, BOTH) of the dressers for a whopping $75. I had been checking KSL religiously for a few days when these beauties popped up. I was so stoked. Great furniture; great price; right in the next town . . . Perfect! Nate called and left a message about 20 minutes after they were listed. I figured when he only got voicemail that they were already sold. Luckily the guy called back a few minutes later and said they were still available. Nate drove right over to check them out. He couldn’t believe how nice they were and thought it was hilarious because the guy kept apologizing about every nick and ding. I felt a little guilty about breaking the Sabbath to buy furniture, but it was kind of an ox in the mire thing (or something like that). I did tell Nate that I would take full responsibility for the sin. He already has that Billy Joel concert and waterskiing on the Amazon in his column of Sabbath day offenses. I need to catch up. :) The girls still need a little guidance about what items are “shelf-worthy”. We’re working on it.

The headboard wouldn’t fit after we moved the dressers in, so right now we are improvising and using a 1x2 to hold Emily’s lamp. I think I might convince Nate to make her a headboard the matches the bunk beds. Someday. I’m also working on a plan for the big blank wall over Emily’s bed . . . and some curtains . . . and some cute, matching bedspreads. All in good time.


Here's their closet. Abby’s shirts (>100) are on the bottom rod. That is what happens when you are the third girl in a family. We need to make a big box of hand-me-downs for Sarah and an even bigger box for the DI. Elise and Emily’s shirts are on the middle rod and their skirts are up top. All of their dresses are in the closet of the spare bedroom upstairs. One closet just isn’t enough for three girls.

The shoe rack is quite possibly my favorite part of their new room. The girls have always just thrown their shoes into a pile at the bottom of their closet, and finding matching pairs was a big headache. I counted up their shoes when we were moving and they have 80+ pairs among the three of them. I drew out a plan for some shoe shelves and Nate and I built them. They aren’t fancy, but they are certainly functional. I love that the whole floor isn’t covered with shoes.

Moving day: (Emily, Elise, and Natalie worked hard to move all of the books downstairs, but the bookcase ended up back upstairs after we got the dressers.)




Elise, bless her tender little heart, had a hard time adjusting to the change. She was just as excited about it as anyone else until about an hour before bedtime on that first night. Then she wasn’t so sure. She tearfully said, “Maybe we should just keep our old bedroom.” She wasn’t just being a stinker; she was truly heartbroken over the thought of changing rooms. So, while Emily and Abby were super excited to spend their first night in a new room, Elise slept upstairs all by herself in her old room. She didn’t want to get rid of their old dresser or Abby’s toddler bed or any of the pictures they had on their walls. It took about a week before she was ready to fully embrace the idea of the move. Even then she wasn’t willing to change beds, so she still sleeps on the bottom bunk and Abby has adopted the top bunk.

First night:




As the only boy, Ben will most likely be in the same room for the next eight years. We gave his room a little facelift in the last couple of months. His Lego collection had passed the carrying capacity of his bookcase, so Nate put in some new shelves. They turned out really well. With an eighty square foot room, we are all about maximizing vertical space. He also got the headboard from the Hoytsville bed. It was a perfect fit, literally. If it would have been 1/16 of an inch deeper, it wouldn’t have worked. We lucked out.



12 comments:

EmWJ said...

Even though I saw it in person, I still enjoyed reading the step-by-step and once again am just incredibly impressed by that shoe rack. Wow.

Parry Family said...

Three girls in one room is impressive. That is how I grew up and there is never enough room for clothes and shoes. You guys work quick, we are still in the framing process of our basement. Love the girls room, and nice job on the furniture gotta love KSL.

Heidi said...

Those are some great furniture finds! I grew up with 3 girls in the same room until I was 12, most of the time we liked it. I love the new shelves in Ben's room, they look great!

Now I'm excited to see the craft room and spare bedroom.

Claudy said...

Great job! Everything looks fantastic. I'm surprised Elise wasn't a fan of the move to begin with, she is usually the most carefree one.

Claudy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claudy said...

The picture of that nice tidy closet makes me want to clean mine out.:)

amity said...

wow the girls room looks awesome!! you guys have been working really hard around your house. i love the shoe shelves. i think i need to make some of those for mine and jared's shoes. the shelves in ben's room turned out really well. they are a perfect place for all the lego inventions. well done.

Kaylynn said...

Someday people will wonder what Grandma Malinda's house was like, but they are in luck - check the blog books and they will find a Malin-like detailed blog post. You are cool.

Amy said...

80 shoes between the 3 of them already! Imagine how many they'll have when they are teenagers.....and the shoes just keep getting bigger! :) The room looks great though, you guys are awesome organizers and so good at getting sweet deals on furniture.

dcscrivy said...

Um, I need all of that done in the bedrooms at my house, would you mind coming over and doing all that work for me, it looks much better than I could ever do! Thanks!

Ker-Dog and the gang said...

seriously 80 pairs of shoes? Olivia would be in heaven. So how's the guest room coming along. I think I need to come for a visit!

Malinda said...

80 pairs of shoes isn't as cool as it sounds. It's not like they each have 25 pair. We just have every type of shoe in size 8 to size 2.

Keri, you can come visit anytime! (assuming you would want leave Hawaii for an exciting destination like Ogden, UT) So far our guest room is really just a place for Grandma Reatha to sleep when she comes to babysit. :)