We came home and got ready for the piano recital. Emily played Spanish Caballero and The Dragon Hunt. She was a bit nervous this time around, but still did a good job. Ben played Auld Lang Syne and In My Red Convertible. He played both of them better than he had ever done while he was practicing. When he was done, he said to Nate, “Mom said that she gets nervous when she has to play the piano in front of people, or do things like that, but I don’t.” I’m glad that he has more confidence than his mom. We were sad to hear that Sister Shelton is retiring (or at least taking a sabbatical) from teaching piano. She has been a wonderful teacher for both Ben and Emily. We’re going to miss her.
After a short break, we headed back to the school for the girls’ dance recital. They all did a fabulous job. They each got a trophy at the end of the show. Abby was so excited about that. She was kissing it on the way to the car. “THIS IS MY FIRST TROPHY EVER!” She has been carrying it around the house for the last three days. The girls have all really loved taking dance, but we have decided to take a year off from lessons. I was afraid they would protest when I suggested taking a break, but they were surprisingly fine with that plan. I think we’ve all been feeling the strain of being too busy. We need a bit more unscheduled time to just be a family.

It is fun to see the kids developing their talents. I'm glad that they always want to do their best. I am so proud of each of them!
5 comments:
Taking time off is a good thing (at least until soccer season starts again).
Have you make your list of fun summer activities?
Taking a break from being busy is what I could learn how to do better, so good for you! My mom said that being B.U.S.Y. means "Being Under Satan's Yoke." It's nice to just let our kids be kids and play sometimes.
I wish I still lived across the street to teach your kids piano. Are they going to get a new teacher now that Bonnie is retiring?
Yeah Amy, I had the same plan. I remember when we first moved in thinking how great it would be to have a piano teacher right across the street. Way to ruin my plans. :)
We are debating if we should find a new teacher right away (probably Amanda B.) or taking some time off piano too. Both Ben and Emily would love a break, but I'm afraid if we wait too long we will never get started again. Elise has been begging to start lessons, so we'll probably let her start in the fall even if the other kids don't. Do you have any great advice on the topic? Is it a bad idea to take a year off?
That's great that Ben doesn't get nervous.
I love the picture of your girl's all in their dance outfits. And I love how proud Abby is of her trophy!
I miss you guys! We need to make some summer plans.
That's a lot of recitals in one day. Good job taking a break for a year.
Post a Comment