Wednesday, July 8, 2009

4th of July

We had a great day on the fourth. We started the day off with the parade. Nate and Ben went early to make sure our spot was still saved and I walked down with the girls just in time for the third float (we were a tiny bit late). Heidi and Aaron and their boys came to hang out with us. The kids got lots of candy and loved it. Ben declared it “the best parade ever!” He got a plastic football AND a miniature frisbee. That pretty much sealed the deal for him.




I found a cute new star hairdo to try on the girls. I did Emily’s and Elise’s before the parade. They loved it. Abby was a little sad that I didn’t do hers, so I gave it try after we got home. It turned out super cute.


After the parade, Heidi and Aaron came back here for some Pizza Man pizza and breadsticks. The kids had fun playing with Zack and Austin and I had fun testing my skills at making Gavin smile. We’d had a late night the night before, so we passed on the invitation to go swimming at Heidi’s parents’ house and instead had some much needed downtime here. The kids watched An American Tale while Nate slept and I hung out with Abby (who was apparently on a sugar high from the parade candy).



That night, we had my family over for a BBQ. It was a good fun time. We usually watch the fireworks from our backyard, but this year everyone left in time to see fireworks in their own towns. Since we didn’t have guests we decided to try going closer to the show. We took a little hike up the canal road and watched the fireworks from right above the high school. It was a perfect spot and we loved it. It was nice to actually be able to hear the music that was synchronized with the fireworks. Abby fell asleep in the wagon on the way up and slept through the whole show (and the walk home). That poor girl just doesn’t know what to do with all these late nights.





We finished off the festivities on Monday night with sparklers. We got home too late to do them on Saturday, so Emily picked that as her Family Home Evening activity. I’m glad our kids are still so easily entertained. No $200 packages of fireworks at this house. They’re good with an $8 supply of sparklers and pop-its.




1 comment:

Heidi said...

We had a ton of fun hanging out with you! I'm glad the rest of your day went well. I think our boys would have had more fun in your pool than my parents, it was still a bit chilly.