Monday, June 6, 2011

Dinosaur Park

I’ve been a bit obsessed lately with how quickly time is passing. Something about Ben going into fifth grade has made me realize that my kids are growing up really fast. I’m determined that we are going to do lots of fun stuff this summer so I don’t look back and wonder where the time went. Wednesday’s activity was to go to the Dinosaur Park. I let the kids set the pace and we had a great time together. I laughed at how touristy they looked with their little fanny packs and cameras.



There was a nice guy working in the lab in the museum. He opened up the window and gave us our own private lesson about some of the fossils they were working on. We got to touch fossilized dinosaur skin. He said that it is really rare to find fossilized skin (usually they just find impressions of the skin), so it was pretty cool to get to handle some. We also got to hold an Allosaurus tooth and see/feel the little serrated part on the tip of it. He showed us a couple of jawbones from different species and we got to feel a new, very sharp tooth that was just growing into an Allosaurus’s mouth when the dinosaur died.


We ran into our neighbors, the Wheelers, at the park. It was an unexpected treat for the kids to get to play with friends while we were there. They had lots of fun together.


It was a good first outing with just me and the kids. I am really enjoying them at this age. It is so nice that they can get themselves ready to go places and pretty much take care of themselves while we are out and about. After so many years of strollers and diaper bags and lots of prep work for little outings, I certainly appreciate how comparatively easy it is now. We have our moments of “he’s touching me” and “I wanted to sit there”, but mostly it is just fun.

3 comments:

amity said...

your description and pictures actually make me want to take my kids there. i can relate with the whole growing up too fast feeling. it has me feeling the same way.

EmWJ said...

Just put in my name instead of "amity" and it's my feelings exactly.

Heidi said...

Well I guess that's one thing for me to look forward to as my kids grow up because right now I don't want them to get any bigger!