In our original vacation plan, we were going to head up to Yellowstone and then over to Mount Rushmore. When that plan fell through, we decided to flip things around and do the whole trip backwards to allow a bit more thaw time for Yellowstone. Since Mount Rushmore was going to be our first stop, I thought maybe we would cut out our stay in Casper and just do a straight shot to Custer, SD. I put it into Google Maps (with a stop at Devils Tower) and the result was an estimated drive time of 12 hours and 12 minutes. It was a sign. Traveling 12 hours and 12 minutes on our 12th anniversary on the 12th of June. Perfect.
We got an early start and were out the door by 6:20 a.m. We celebrated our anniversary by eating Krispy Kreme donuts for breakfast. (Am I the only girl who would prefer a dozen donuts to a dozen roses?) We thought the kids would go back to sleep, but they were all too excited to be on the road. So, instead of sleeping, we listened to the first couple of chapters of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, watched Hairspray, and started playing our license plate game. We saw windmills and oil derricks and lots of antelope in Wyoming. Nate got a good laugh at my expense when I told him that when I was a kid I thought that all of the snow fences in Wyoming were bleachers (I never did take the thought far enough to wonder why people would want to sit on bleachers on the side of the interstate). :)

Our first stop was in Casper to fill up on gas. Road trip lesson of the day: Don’t stop at the first Exxon station that comes up on Google. They must know that they are first, because they were charging 25 cents more than every other Exxon in town. Capitalist pigs.*
After fueling up, we stopped by Walmart to buy Abby a floatie (since we left hers at home) and take a potty break. I love that my kids all have bladders made of steel. They are good for 7 or 8 hours easy. We ate lunch in the car, started Evan Almighty, and headed up to Devils Tower.
I had really low expectations for Devils Tower and I might have even mocked Nate a bit about driving two hours out of the way to see a rock. Maybe it was because I wasn’t expecting much, but I thought it was pretty amazing. When we got there, it was nice and sunny. The kids all changed into shorts because it was so warm. I decided to do the girls hair so they wouldn’t look like orphans and found three (THREE!) ticks in Emily’s hair. The weird thing is that we don’t know how they got on her. It’s not like she had been playing in the bushes. We just got out of the car and went and sat on some benches so I could do her hair. Crazy.
We hiked up a bit closer to the tower and took some pictures. We were hoping to see some climbers scaling the tower, but no one was climbing. (They must have seen the weather forecast.) Nate noticed some big dark clouds rolling in, and we decided to head back down to miss the rain. I kind of laughed at how freaked out some of the people were that were heading down the trail. I thought, “It’s just rain.” I was wrong. It was the craziest thunderstorm I’ve ever seen. The lightning was super close and the thunder was super loud. The rain was mixed with marble-sized hailstones that just came pelting down. It was pretty funny to watch the prairie dogs. They were all over the place, but as soon as the hail started they took off running. They had all disappeared into their tunnels within a few seconds. We had to pull over and wait out the storm because we literally had zero visibility. Emily took a little video of the storm with her camera. She started recording after the worst of it, but it kind of gives an idea of how hard the rain and hail were coming down. She also missed the part where Elise was screaming “We’re going to die!” from the back seat. That was awesome! We were glad to make it out of there.
After our adventure at Devils Tower was over, we hit the road again. The kids watched Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones on the way to Custer, SD. We checked into our hotel at 7:30 p.m. It was a long day of travel (714 miles) and we were glad to be done for the day. We made some sandwiches for dinner, took a quick trip to Family Dollar (to get Abby a cheap floatie tube since the fancy one we bought her was too small), and then finished off the night with swimming, baths, and bed.


*I’m a big fan of capitalism, even if it sometimes means I overpay for gas. I just like to get Nate riled up by saying things like that.
6 comments:
your trip looks awesome!! it makes me want to go back!! i love the story about the rain. that is hilarious. i love that abby is using her floatie for ear protection. at least it was good for something, right? oh and ticks? kind of scary and weird. it is a good thing you do your girls hair daily. i probably would have brought them home with me if they were in my kids hair. totally looking forward to the next installment of the trip. oh and by the way, you really should reveal the ten years of trips planned. i would love to read that list.
Keep the posts coming! I love hearing about your crazy adventure. I would take a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts over lots of things!
BTW- I used photoshop on the picture of the white house and I don't think it's the president on the balcony. I'll e-mail you a copy and you tell me what you think.
Even your driving sounds fun. Zack and Austin would be so jealous to know that your kids got to watch Star Wars. They have been trying to convince me all week that they are big enough to watch Star Wars and Spider Man.
I can't believe you found 3 ticks in her hair, I would be freaked out!
Your kids are great!
I just read all of yoru blog posts, but I am lazy to just post one comment. I hope you don't "hate" me. First, I am laughing that you even remember what movies you watched each mile. Second, I can't wait to see the full size panorama of the Nelson family in front of every state's sign. you rock.
Kaylynn, I think of you every time that I write super detailed blog posts. I can picture you mocking me. For me, it is either write everything down or forget it (think of the leaving my cell phone at the Clifton rodeo story . . . or was it the Downey rodeo? See I don't remember.) And, I do have big plans of buying a big map of the United States and putting our state sign pictures all around the border. You know me so well. :)
Just for you Amity: The Ten Year Plan
Post a Comment